Carbon Monoxide News & Information

Vents Blocked by Snow Causes Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Seven Fairfax County residents are recovering from carbon monoxide following a scary incident at an apartment complex. Amidst the snow, ice and sleet that was falling during the most recent winter storm, the apartment complex’s ground floor furnace room vents became blocked. One of the buildings had to be evacuated because of the high levels of carbon monoxide present. Seven people were transported to a local hospital where they were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning. They have since been released.

Beyond the icy sidewalks and slippery streets, snow can create a blockage in your home or apartment’s vents. The exhaust pipes of your car, furnace, gas stoves and dryers can also become easily blocked by heavy snowfall. These pipes need space to breathe in order to prevent carbon monoxide build up. The plastic pipes often jut out from the side of the house, but can also sometimes be found on the roof or up through the chimney.

In Virginia, we so rarely deal with major winter storms that carbon monoxide poisoning is the last thing on our minds amidst grocery store runs and school closings. While snow is definitely exciting, we can’t forget the dangers associated with it. As you work to clear your driveway and sidewalk, be sure to take a look for your exhaust pipes and make room for them to breathe.

CO Poisoning Injuries Caused by Negligence

The attorneys at the Law Offices of Richard J. Serpe, PC have helped victims who have suffered from the serious side effects of carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a negligent individual or entity.  If you have been poisoned and would like to speak with our of our experienced attorneys, contact us to setup a free case evaluation.