Carbon Monoxide News & Information

The Silent Killer: Carbon Monoxide’s Deceptive Danger

The first carbon monoxide related death this season has Hampton Roads citizens on edge. Recently, a Newport News man died after being poisoned by the gas. A woman in the same home was taken to the hospital with what she initially believed to be symptoms of a stroke. Instead, carbon monoxide was to blame. News reports indicate that the carbon monoxide levels in the house were at 100 parts per million. Anything above nine parts per million is considered to be extremely dangerous.

Investigators are still looking into this incident, but it is believed that a heater attached to a propane tank in the home is the culprit behind the carbon monoxide leak. Too often, appliances used to heat homes can spring leaks unbeknownst to those inside the house. Without a recognizable color or odor associated with the gas, it’s easy to understand how such a leak can go unnoticed.

Symptoms Can Be Misleading

Many of the symptoms of carbon monoxide can also be misleading. Dizziness, headaches and fatigue may seem like common symptoms of the cold or flu. They can also be signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. How can you tell the difference? One way to determine if you’re sick or actually experiencing poisoning is to go outside into fresh air. If you begin to feel better after a few minutes, it’s likely that there’s a carbon monoxide leak in your home. However, if you or your family members feel ill, you should contact emergency services right away. Click here for common symptoms.

Protect Your Loved Ones. Install a Carbon Monoxide Detector.

There’s only one way to be sure that carbon monoxide has begun leaking in your home, and that’s by using a carbon monoxide detector. Just as important as your home’s smoke detector, these devices can be real life savers. They can also reassure you when you are feeling under the weather that you’re not being poisoned! Click here for more information on carbon monoxide detectors.

Virginia Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Lawyers

Our firm has experience handling carbon monoxide poisoning cases. We handled a tragic accident for a family that lost loved ones due to carbon monoxide poisoning in their rental apartment. After a thorough investigation, it was discovered that faulty repairs made to the roof were the cause of the leak. Negligent contractors and landlords need to be held responsible for their actions, especially when they result in serious illness or death of their residents. If you or a loved one have been harmed, contact us for a free case evaluation 877-544-5323.