Carbon Monoxide News & Information

Fatal Newport News Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

A Newport News man has died after being poisoned by carbon monoxide. Emergency services responded to a call about a possible stroke inside the man’s home. Once there, they discovered a woman suffering either from a stroke or carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms, as a well as a man who had recently succumbed to the poisoning. Firefighters discovered high levels of carbon monoxide inside the home.

Initial investigations have revealed the potential source of the problem: a propane tank with a heating element attached. Without proper ventilation, the carbon monoxide leaking from the appliance had infiltrated the home. It is unclear whether or not the home had carbon monoxide detectors. The woman is still recuperating in the hospital. Our thoughts go out to the victims and their family during this difficult time.

With the cold temperatures finally setting in, carbon monoxide poisoning will likely become more and more of an issue. Too often, people forget about the potentially deadly gas and its role in heating appliances like space heaters, propane tanks and generators. The clear, odorless gas can sneak up on you with dangerous consequences. Many of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to those of the common cold or flu.

If you suddenly feel dizzy, tired, or have a headache, step outside for a few minutes for some fresh air. If the symptoms abate, it’s possible you could have a carbon monoxide leak on your hands. When in doubt, call the fire department for a full inspection. You can never be too safe when carbon monoxide is in question.