Carbon Monoxide News and Information

Archive for the ‘Carbon Monoxide News and Information’ Category

Norfolk rehab center workers are recovering following a carbon monoxide poisoning scare at work. When a kitchen employee began getting sick, emergency dispatchers were called. Upon arrival, first responders noticed the alarm on the carbon monoxide meter in their bag was going off. Everyone left the kitchen area, where air samples showed a reading of 100 carbon monoxide parts per million.

Additional testing revealed that levels were even higher on the first floor, with 300 parts per million. Firefighters turned off the gas in the building and ventilated each floor. Four employees, including the original ill kitchen worker, were taken to the hospital for treatment.

Though the rehab center was carbon monoxide free following the ventilation process, one has to wonder what policies are in place to protect patients and employees in the future. Reports did not indicate whether the center’s carbon monoxide detectors were set off during the incident, which begs the question: were such detectors installed in the building? Did they have fresh batteries? Were they in good working condition? When were they last serviced?

Though every company should follow safety policies and procedures, not everyone places an emphasis on carbon monoxide standards. Check to see your workplace’s policy on carbon monoxide detectors. Do they have one installed? When was the last time the batteries were replaced?  Carbon monoxide poisoning is often called the silent killer, as it is odorless and invisible. Out of sight, out of mind, even the most thoughtful supervisors can forget to check the detectors every few months.

Do You Need A Virginia Carbon Monoxide Lawyer? – Contact Us

The attorneys at the Law Offices of Richard J. Serpe, PC have helped victims who have suffered from the serious side effects of carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a negligent individual or entity.  If you have been poisoned and would like to speak with our of our experienced attorneys, contact us to setup a free case evaluation.

Five Woodbridge, Virginia residents are recovering following a carbon monoxide poisoning scare. Emergency services were called to a laundromat when one person was found unconscious. They were taken to the hospital and are being treated with a hyperbaric chamber. Four others also were taken to the hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms. Three have been released but one person remains hospitalized.

Fire department officials say the carbon monoxide was likely released by a malfunctioning appliance in the laundromat. There is no word on whether the building had a functioning carbon monoxide alarm. Thankfully, a laundromat customer recognized signs of carbon monoxide poisoning and called 911.

Carbon monoxide can be extremely deadly because symptoms related to poisoning often mimic the flu. When a person’s nose begins running, their heard hurts or they become dizzy or nauseous, their first inclination is to believe they are coming down with a cold or the flu. If not for the quick thinking laundromat customer, even more people may have suffered such symptoms.

Poisonings like this one are more common than one might realize. Anytime there is old or inefficient equipment being used inside, with little to no fresh air, there is a great chance that the appliances could indeed be leaking carbon monoxide. Take that into consideration the next time you turn on an old furnace or generator. Poisonings like this one are far more common during the winter months, with people shutting out cold air and turning on appliances that could actually be putting off this invisible, deadly gas. Be sure your home is equipped with a carbon monoxide alarm: it could save your life.

Do You Need A Carbon Monoxide Lawyer? – Contact Us

The attorneys at the Law Offices of Richard J. Serpe, PC have helped victims who have suffered from the serious side effects of carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a negligent individual or entity.  If you have been poisoned and would like to speak with our of our experienced attorneys, contact us to setup a free case evaluation.

A Northern Virginia family is recuperating following a scary brush with carbon monoxide. The Ashburn family called paramedics after a fall. By the time EMS had arrived, two adults were unconscious. NBC Washington reports that carbon monoxide detectors carried by paramedics immediately sounded upon entering the home. All three family members were taken to a local hospital for treatment.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is a major risk this time of year, as symptoms are often mistaken for the flu. When people become dizzy, light-headed, nauseous, or have a headache, they rarely associate their illness with the effects of carbon monoxide. That’s why it is so important to make sure you have carbon monoxide detectors installed in your house and that they have fresh batteries each season. Winter is an especially common time for carbon monoxide poisoning, as furnaces, space heaters and wood stoves are used more frequently. These appliances can all potentially give off carbon monoxide if not working properly. People also frequently use their garages to warm up their vehicles on cold mornings, which can quickly trap the poisonous gas in the enclosed space.

 Virginia Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Lawyers

Helping Victims Harmed by CO Poisoning Due to Someone Else’s Negligence

Our firm has experience handling carbon monoxide poisoning cases. Recently, we sought justice for a couple who died from carbon monoxide poisoning in their rental apartment. After a thorough investigation, it was discovered that faulty repairs made to the roof were the cause of the leak. Negligent contractors and landlords need to be held responsible for their actions, especially when they result in serious illness or death of their residents. If you or a loved one have been harmed, contact us for a free case evaluation 877-544-5323.

Flu season is always worrisome. The illness, often contracted by children and the elderly, can cause headaches, vomiting, fatigue, dizziness, chest pain and nausea. Unfortunately, experts say these symptoms are not always as straight-forward as they might seem. Indeed, all of these symptoms are also indicators of carbon monoxide poisoning. Because you cannot see or smell carbon monoxide as it infiltrates your space, it’s easy to mistake the carbon monoxide symptoms for the flu. It’s critical to understand the differences and similarities of the two.

For starters, the flu is often accompanied by a fever, while carbon monoxide poisoning can cause fainting, increased heart rate, difficulty thinking clearly and convulsions. If you’re not sure if your symptoms are caused by illness or poisoning, grab a thermometer. If your temperature is over 100 degrees, it is likely the flu. If there are any doubts about the presence of carbon monoxide, getting fresh air is key. Open windows or go outside to see if symptoms get better.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control reports than more than 400 people each year die from carbon monoxide poisoning. Only about half of the homes in the United States currently have carbon monoxide detectors installed. To protect your family, make sure you have one installed in every level of your home and that the batteries are changed regularly. Never use outdoor appliances like generators, grills or barbecues indoors, as they often give off carbon monoxide and need fresh air for ventilation. And though on cold mornings it’s tempting to heat up your car in your garage, carbon monoxide can seep in under doors and windows, so it’s best not to leave an engine running inside.

Do You Need A Carbon Monoxide Lawyer? – Contact Us

The attorneys at the Law Offices of Richard J. Serpe, PC have helped victims who have suffered from the serious side effects of carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a negligent individual or entity.  If you have been poisoned and would like to speak with our of our experienced attorneys, contact us to setup a free case evaluation.

A North Carolina couple has died from carbon monoxide poisoning. Police conducted a health and welfare check in their Flat Rock, NC home and found the couple. Myfox8.com reports that the source of carbon monoxide might have been the couple’s older model car parked in their garage.

Carbon monoxide is not something we often think about. Why would we? It is odorless, colorless and invisible to the naked eye. Unfortunately, it is also quite deadly. Too often, by the time we consider carbon monoxide as a health threat, it is because we’re being affected by the poisonous gas. For people unfamiliar with the gas, they may even dismiss their symptoms as part of the common cold. Dizziness, nausea, headache and chest pain are all common signs that you’ve been exposed to the gas.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is far more common in the winter, when fresh air is locked out and space heaters, fireplaces and furnaces get turned on more frequently. In this situation, it is likely that the couple had no idea their car was leaking carbon monoxide. A carbon monoxide monitor may have helped to prevent this tragic accident.

These detectors are becoming more and more common, but are still not as ubiquitous as smoke detectors. If you are a home owner, make sure your home is equipped with a carbon monoxide detector and fresh batteries. If you are renting, ask your landlord about carbon monoxide monitors and their maintenance. It could save you and your family’s lives.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Lawsuits

The attorneys at the Law Offices of Richard J. Serpe, PC are currently investigating potential lawsuits for people that have suffered from the serious side effects of carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a negligent individual or entity. Negligent parties most often include: building owners, employers, and product manufacturers. Contact us for a free case evaluation 877-544-5323.