Carbon Monoxide News & Information

9 Sickened by Carbon Monoxide in DC Boardinghouse

Occupants of a Washington, DC boardinghouse were hospitalized after experiencing flu-like symptoms that authorities say were caused by exposure to carbon monoxide. Investigators found a faulty furnace in the basement of the boardinghouse and say it was to blame for the severe carbon monoxide leak. Thankfully, all of the affected residents are expected to be okay.

This is the second such leak in a matter of days for Washington, DC residents. A six-story apartment building was also recently evacuated after carbon monoxide began leaking into the residences.

Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs most commonly in the cold months, since furnaces are often to blame for the leaks. Because carbon monoxide is an invisible and odorless gas, it can impact a person before they even realize something is amiss. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can be easily mistaken for the common cold or flu. Many people exposed to carbon monoxide fail to recognize anything is wrong until they are poisoned. Once they breathe in fresh air, they often feel an immediate sense of relief.

Protect your family from carbon monoxide poisoning by investing in a carbon monoxide detector. Affordable and easy to install, these detectors work in the same way smoke detectors do. Of course, like smoke detectors, it’s important that you change the batteries out regularly. Pair the chore with turning back your clocks every time daylight savings time ends or begins.

Virginia Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Lawyer

The attorneys at the Law Offices of Richard J. Serpe, PC have helped victims who have suffered from the serious side effects of carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a negligent individual or entity.  If you have been poisoned and would like to speak with Virginia carbon monoxide poisoning lawyers, contact us to setup a free case evaluation.